A hot oil treatment is one of the best things you can do to your super dry hair this year.
Oils generally work as moisture sealants and applying the oil when its a bit heated on both scalp and hair has a lot of benefits as it allows for sufficient blood circulation to the scalp,opens up the hair pores to receive moisture and also moisturizes the hair strands.
HOW TO DO A HOT OIL TREATMENT
- CHOOSE A GOOD MOISTURIZING OIL: Oils like Coconut,Olive,Jojoba,Peppermint oils will do. You can also mix two or more oils for this treatment.
- HEAT UP THE OIL: Put the oil or oil mix in a stainless steel bowl and place over steaming water and leave for about 15 minutes. Microwaving or applying direct heat is not advised as the oil may get too hot and burn your scalp.
- LEAVE OIL TO COOL: Do not apply the oil immediately on your scalp to avoid burning. Allow the oil to be warm enough for you to dip your finger tips without scalding.
- DAMPEN YOUR HAIR: Oil is a sealant of moisture and so applying oil on dry hair is well…sealing in the dryness 😀 Dampen your hair with a little bit of water before applying the oil.
- APPLY THE OIL: Apply the oil generously on the length of your hair and scalp and massage. Hair does not have to be greasy but just slightly oily.
- COVER HAIR AND LEAVE ON FOR ABOUT 45 MINUTES: Cover your hair with a plastic bag or shower cap and then wear your hair bonnet if you have one. Some oils work better when steamed and so you could go under a hood dryer or warm setting dryer with your hair covered as directed above. Or you can take a warm bath during this period 😀
- RINSE OUT: Rinse out with water or very mild conditioner if the hair feels too greasy. If not,rinsing out with water is the best so that you wouldnt strip your hair off the oils it just gained 🙂
- AIR DRY HAIR AND STYLE HAIR AS USUAL
DO YOU DO HOT OIL TREATMENTS REGULARLY? WHAT OILS DO YOU USE? FEEL FREE TO SHARE 😀